Sunday, February 15, 2015

My Go Fund Me Account

Just a quick word about the Go Fund Me account.
 
I really struggled with this concept of putting a donation link up. I have always been self sufficient and quite like it that way. I have the funds now to complete this trip, since I have been working really hard over the past 6 months from 12 hour days this past summer, to 10 hour days, starting in January. Money for the extra comforts will be tight though, and my hiking plan is for far fewer motel stays than I could really use. 
 
As I have talked to people over the last couple of years, I have heard that some times people would love to be Trail Angels,* yet they live too far off the trail to be able to perform these acts of kindness, or don't know what to provide a thru hiker as we come into their range.
 
*Trail Angel
a generous individual or group of individuals that provide acts of kindness to participants of outdoor events, on hiking trails or various biking routes. Trail angels are closely associated with trail magic. "Trail Angels" are commonly referred to in online hiking journals as friends of hikers, relatives or others persons who will often provide food, transportation, etc. to hikers on the trail.[Courtesy of Wickipedia]
 
Trail Angel Meadow Ed - 1999
 
After much thought, I decided to set up an opportunity for those people who would like an easy way to show their support and would like to provide for a weary hiker. You may want to wait to see if I will be going longer than 70 miles, then donate. It is all good.

 
Trail Angel Bob Uhlenberg - 1999

My friend Sandi Carpenter got the ball rolling with a donation that I have told her will be used on my third day at Mt. Laguna. There is a restaurant there that is really good, and by then I will be thankful for the gift of a great restaurant meal and the ability to purchase some snacks from the store to help fuel me further north.
 
 So that is what the donation button is for on the right side of this blog. Not to worry if you can't donate or don't want to, this has been set up for those who really want to be my Trail Angel. (I won't hate you if you don't)!



Much Needed Motel Stay - 1999


Unnamed Trail Angel who Provided a Ride and a Soda- 1999


 



No comments:

Post a Comment