Friday, October 24, 2014

A New Trail Name

I am Pocahontas no longer.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   See, my hair is shorter now.


This is the first time I have had short hair since freshman year of high school in 1980.  I have always loved my hair long, and it was easy to care for it while hiking with a backpack. All I had to do was comb it out each morning, and braid it. Super simple, and it kept my hair from getting all tangled and also interfering with my pack.
 
I decided to cut my hair this last summer as a result of Lego's heart attacks. I thought I was going to have job interviews and wanted a more professional appearance. But fate and God had another plan for me, and I now have the means to attempt this through hike one last time.
 
Now, I am in need of another trail name. Pocahontas was bestowed on me by Ron (the same Ron who helps out Ziggy and the Bear at Whitewater) who was through hiking with us in 1999. He took one look at my braids and dubbed me Pocahontas.
 

At Cajon Pass - 1999


 
I never really liked that name, I wanted a cuter or more unique name, but being new to trail names, I went ahead and accepted it and the name stuck with me until now.







Now I am on a quest for that perfectly unique trail name. I have a few rules I will be firm with: I must be named on the trail by fellow hikers or trail angels. I will not accept names thrown out before hand by friends or readers. I want a true trail name that exemplifies me or something I have done along the trail and one that I love. I will not settle for a mediocre name anymore.

I am really excited to see what my new trail name will be, I think about what I would like it to be, and then discard those, making myself wait for that one name that stands out for me from my fellow travelers as they get to know me. Just as soon as I find out what my new trail name is, I'll let y'all know.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment