Monday, March 23, 2015

Chase the Dreams, Not the Magic

         I saw this title of a blog by Mark, a thru hiker last year. He was referring to the contrast between the trail and his work. You can read this blog here: https://mbiropm.wordpress.com/.
 
I, on the other hand, thought this would be an appropriate title for a post on, you guessed it, Trail Magic.

I'll start out by saying that I love trail magic. It rejuvenates the soul, provides much needed conversation at times, keeps us humble and thankful, and can be a life saver in certain circumstances.
It can also return an impetus to our thru hike that may have waned a bit through the trials of pain, exhaustion, cold, heat, hunger, and thirst. The term is used "The trail provides," and that it does through the mercy and love the trail angels pour out on us.
 
We have to be careful though, that we don't head out on our hikes expecting the magic at every turn or every minor road we happen to cross. That could leave us disillusioned, and extremely disappointed when the magic is gone, or had never been there. There are some hikers that have the attitude, "Hey, I'm a thru hiker, what have you done for me lately?" Granted, these hikers are few and far between, and most don't go out and expect a ton of free stuff just because they have decided to go on a long walk.
 
In 1999, I didn't know anything about trail angels. I had never heard the term, and the phrase "trail magic" was not even in the vocabulary on the trail yet. We found Ziggy and the Bear, and the Saufleys through word of mouth, just miles from reaching them. Their kindness will never be forgotten as long as I live.
Donna and Jeff  Saufley - 1999
So imagine my astonishment, when I learned that Hiker Heaven was closing down this year.  I was really looking forward to catching up with Donna and Jeff this year on my visit there, and now that was denied to me. My heart dropped down to my stomach, and I started feeling depressed, then a little angry when my research in to the PCT-L group revealed some of why the Saufleys were calling it quits. But as I started thinking about the change in my plans, where I was going to resupply, and where I was going to take my layover day, I realized I was becoming that hiker who expected certain magic to be there just because I was going on a long hike. And I felt ashamed.
 
I had to remind myself that this hike is my dream, magic or no magic. Would I start this hike if I knew there would be no trail magic? I started the trail in '99 without a thought of magic or angels, so I have to say the answer would be yes. I am chasing this dream for so many more reasons than this.
 
I have already received a lot of trail magic even before I have started this hike, from the donation from a stranger who hears the same echo in his heart when the trail calls, to other bloggers who read my blog, to friends and family who are supporting me in every way they can. I am above all else grateful to those I know about now, and to those I will meet along my journey. I will not be expecting the magic to happen, but it will happen none the less. I just have to accept it with an open and humble heart.
 
 
 And the trail still runs through my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment