Sunday, March 15, 2015

Testing, Testing 123

First off, I am now over 10% of my donation goal, thanks to Griff Traveller! This donator is a total stranger to me, but from the kindness that abounds in Trail Angels, he has donated enough to give me meals and a couple of motel rooms through the month of April. Since I wasn't planning on using a motel room until Big Bear, and I may not need it there thanks to another trail angel, it looks like I will be getting a room in Tehachapi or Mojave. Griff has the desire to hike the PCT one day, and I hope he too will receive some big time trail magic!

Now for the equipment.

Three new items were delivered on my birthday.

First off were my new Dirty Girl Gaiters. I adore variety and color, and these three gaiters completed my set of 9 gaiters. Why 9 gaiters for this trip you may ask? Well, I wanted to do something fun for myself, and I decided to wear one pair for every section in the Wilderness Guide Books. When I get through 9 sections, I will start over. I already had 3 pairs for myself from 2013, then I commandeered Lego's three pair he had, and ouila, I now have 9 pairs.


Fun, huh!
 
My next piece of equipment was my most necessary item. I don't sleep well out on the trail. In fact most nights I am wide awake due to tossing and turning trying to get comfortable on the z-rest closed cell foam mattress. And a sleepless night does not translate well into a good day of hiking the next day. The z-rest is just too thin now for my aging body, and I desperately needed a good inflatable mattress. I envied those hikers who had that extra bit of comfort, and now I have it also.
 
 
This is the NeoAir XTherm. Weighing in at 11 oz. and with a R value rating of 5.7 out of 10 warmth factor, this should keep me off the cold ground, provide enough warmth, and be light enough for this long of a trip. I bought this from REI Outlet, it was last years model at a reduced price. It is also a size small, which means it is just big enough for my head and body leaving my legs to dangle off the mattress. Not to worry, I like my legs elevated at night, so I am putting my pack at the foot of the mattress for my legs to rest on. The instructions said it would take about 20 puffs to inflate it, but it actually takes about 25. No matter, it will be well worth it for the good nights sleep it will provide.
 
 
This is my new carrier for my IPad. On my last trip, I found that the iPad took great pictures, but I didn't have it in easy reach. I would have to drop my pack in order to fish it out for pictures. And that would be bad news if I needed a picture in a hurry, such as if I spotted an animal up the trail. I intend to sew a band on the backside that will enable me to thread my pack's hip belt through it, and thus I will have my iPad always at hand.

Waiting for the Leaks


This has been the perfect weekend for testing the waterproof qualities of my tent. I accidentally set up Legos's tent though, so now I know that his tent will withstand an all night rain!
 
I slept outside on Friday night, testing out my new mattress, and I was able to get a good night's sleep. I woke up a few times, then went right back to sleep. I even dreamed a few times, so I know my mattress was working.
 
I think the biggest thing I was worried about was what if the tent started leaking. I stayed nice and dry all night though, so that is one worry I can put to rest. I may wash the tent with a water proofer just to be extra secure.
 
I have the LightHeart Gear solo tent and on Lego's advice I staked it out with just 4 stakes. Not a great idea. I was claustrophobic somewhat as the walls tended to collapse inward a little bit, and reduced the room in the tent. With the other stakes staking the outside walls, the interior is much roomier.


So that is the testing I did over the weekend. We are still a go and life is good.
 
I also wrote and posted this post using Blogsy. I figured I had better get used to its various functions before I head out to the trail. I am really enjoying this app, as it makes blogging so much easier. In 2013, I had so much trouble posting directly into my blog, that I gave up posting every day like I intended to do.
 
This year, I will be putting up a post for every day, though don't count on it posting daily. I may not have connection on some parts of the trail and some blog posts may be posted a few days later. Sorry, I can't always post in real time out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment