Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Trying to Relax

GD Puppy "Italy"
So here I am, 2 more days until I leave home for 5 1/2 months. What could be more relaxing than posting cute puppy pictures!


I have been volunteering to be a Guide Dog Puppy Raiser for Guide Dogs for the Blind, for the past 10 years. Italy was my 7th puppy that I raised. Two of my puppies became full fledged Guide Dogs, one became a breeder for Guide Dogs, one went on to be a Canine Companion for a boy who was too young to have his own guide dog, and two career changed which means they were dropped from the seeing eye program and became pets instead. We kept one, Angel, and she is now a full fledged service dog for Lego. She became his mobility assistance dog, and has saved him from falling a couple of times. I had Italy for only a month, and I didn't find out what happened to her because I left for the trail in 2013 and she was transferred to Idaho.


Italy Taking a Break from Training
 This has been a very fulfilling hobby and I really can't think of a better way to spend some time volunteering. The blind people who get these dogs once they are fully trained are so appreciative to us, and when we get to meet them, it can be quite emotional. Yes, it is hard to give them up after a year, but it is equally fun to wait for my new puppy to come and I can start all over again.

For anyone on the West Coast who is interested in becoming a puppy raiser, go to this site http://guidedogs.com/ and find out how rewarding raising a puppy can be.
Too Cute!



Angel, don't let the Guide Dog Puppies see you on the Bed!
 


Canine Companion "Brie" with her new companion, Chris
 
Now it's time for a huge thank you to a few more instances of pre trail magic I have received.
I was recently bestowed a donation from Ron Greig who is currently hoping to hike the John Muir Trail soon. His contribution will help me partake in a couple of meals at the Community Center in Warner Springs, and maybe a hot shower too! I will enjoy that.

My Aunt Carol donated a couple of Ace bandages to my cause, and I may need them as my knee sometimes causes some pain and I will possibly need to wrap it. They are in my bounce box right now. Big Hugs and Love to Aunt Carol, and my cousin, Candy.

Our friends from church, Karen and Roger, took us to breakfast on Monday as a going away present and we had a lovely time with them. It kind of makes me want to leave home more often!

Thank you Karen and Roger



So now that I have taken a break from sorting through this, I am feeling a bit more relaxed. Tomorrow I will post about my music on the trail, after running all over town trying to tie all the loose ends up. It's crunch time, and I'm feeling it. This is probably my least favorite part of planning a trip like this, the organizing and all the little last minute things that need to be done.
 Whew, take a deep breath!!!!

1 comment: