Wednesday, April 15, 2015

What a First Day!

Day 1
20 Miles
Today was supposed to start at 6:15, getting out early enough to avoid some of the heat. Right out of the bat, I started with a total melt down. Three things went wrong. First I couldn't find my Ipod with all my music. I had the earphones, but not the pod. Then I found that we had forgotten to put the velcro on my shoes to attach the dirty girl gaiters. And I did not have a comb or my cable to recharge my hotspot. Aaargh!! Mark suggested we go get a bite to eat and while doing that, we could think about what to do.

Breakfast was just the right remedy and we were able to come up with solutions to these problems. We bought a charger cable, comb, and velcro at the local RiteAid, and Mark would look for the Ipod when he got home, and if need be, purchase a new Ipod, put my music on it, and mail it back to me at Warner Springs.
 
We got out to the trail head at 9:00. The day was perfect, about 71 degrees, and I had 4 1/2 liters of water with me. This is what I wrote at the register: "Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." ~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
 
Our crazy dog Angel was enjoying the other hikers that were about to start, and they were enjoying her. Then she decided she was going to do a thru hike, and took off down the trail with total strangers. She had a blast! After corralling her, and seeing three rabbits hopping over the trail, I got my pictures done, and I was off!
 
 
The first mile was a breeze, I finished it in about 20 min. I was feeling good, my pack weight was fantastic, and I was keeping a pretty good pace. I was wondering though, if I had brought enough water. I was basing my estimate on the fact that in 2013, Mark and I had 3 liters each, which lasted all the way to Hauser Canyon, 16 miles in. Since I planned to camp in Hauser Canyon tonight, I just added another liter and a half. But 2013 was colder than this year was, and mostly overcast, so I didn't think I had enough water this time. I stopped at the Juvenile Boys Camp at the water spigot there, and filled up with another liter.
 
At the 1 mile mark, Angel and Mark met me there for another picture opportunity.
 
 
Then it was hugs and kisses all around, and I was on my own.
 
The day was gorgeous, and I was able to talk to some really great people who were hiking with me throughout the day. I was having fun, and making my miles. At one point I hiked through this great oak oasis and sat down for a snack break.
 
So now you might ask, if I was intending to camp at Hauser Canyon at mile 16, why did I end up doing 20 miles? Good question, and the answer is one I would rather not relay, but here it is.
 
Throughout the day, my feet, you know, the ones with the plantar fasciitis, started hurting more and more. Going downhill was easy, I could walk on my toes and stay off my heels. But the uphills were a little more difficult. I had to walk on my heels for these. By the time I had finished 12 miles, I was hurtin' for certin'. Now the decision was, do I continue on into Hauser Canyon, or do I turn around and head back. I had promised myself, that I would never turn around and head southbound this trip. But Hauser Canyon is very deep, and the way out is 1000 ft up Morena Butte to Lake Morena. I wasn't certain I would be able to walk the next day, let alone hike up that Butte. I called Mark, we talked, and I told him I would continue on. I figured I had about 4-5 more miles until I came to Hauser Canyon, and most of that was flat and downhill. I had a little more uphill, but I could take that slowly.
 
But the reality of it was, I procured the proper shoes and insoles, and I was still in extreme pain. Imagine trying to walk with an extra 20 lbs on your back while trying to ignore the pain of something that feels like you are walking on broken bone ends. Yes, that painful. Each step stabs and the pain also wears you out. I was going slower and slower, I realized I couldn't do this with this pain. I truly thought I could get used to a little and sometimes a lot of discomfort, but out and out pain was not going to get this trip done.
My turn around point on top of Hauser Mountain
I called Mark again, and told him I was coming back. I was 10 miles out from the start at Campo.
 I didn't think I could get back there by nightfall, so I told him I would camp out tonight, and he could come get me in the morning. I was determined to get as far as I could, and luckily, it was mostly downhill. I could walk on my toes.
 
Right around 5:00, I was in a little canyon that had a big rock I could sit under and take a break. As I was looking at my maps, I realized I was just 0.6 miles from road 94, just after that nice little oak oasis. He could meet me there. Looming over me though was a tough uphill. And I was completely worn out by this time. I had no strength left and I couldn't get a signal to call Mark. Being this close to getting out, I said a little prayer for strength, gulped down 6 Ibuprofen, ate a snack, rested for a little bit, then tackled the climb out of the canyon. Once on top, I was able to get a signal and called Mark to come get me. I finally broke down at this point, but rallied quickly knowing my time on my feet was coming to an end. It took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to walk that last 0.6 miles. It was worth it though, because after leaving the oak grove, here comes Angel down the trail to greet me and I knew that Mark and the car were not far behind.
 
For now, my time on the trail has again been thwarted. I will be contacting those who donated to my cause, and reimburse that money back to you. This will give you the opportunity to donate to someone else who is actually out doing the work of hiking.
 
Tomorrow I will post about some of my feelings about all of this, and my future plans.
 
To all of my readers, I'm sorry for the time you spent getting involved in my hike, just to have it end like this. I know I could have done this if I didn't have these foot problems. Heck, I hiked 20 miles in excruciating pain, I have the capability to do the miles. Knowing that helps make me feel better.
 
"He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord." ~ Psalms 112:7
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment